Time Commitment: one day per week (Monday or Thursday), 9.30-5.30, for a minimum of 6 months
Start date: ASAP
My View is part of Refugee Council’s Therapeutic Services. The project supports children who are in the UK without their families and who are refugees or are seeking asylum. At the moment our services are run remotely over the phone.
Tasks and responsibilities
- To provide a cultural and gender sensitive Therapeutic Counselling Service to unaccompanied asylum seeking children who have experience sexual violence, persecution, torture and other adverse events. Because of the current situation with the Coronavirus outbreak, you will be providing therapy over the phone and/or online video calling platforms.
- To apply our Therapeutic case model in offering practical orientation, crisis intervention, one to one or group work in order to empower clients to regain control over their own lives and become the agents of their own change.
- To make effective referrals or signpost service users to specialist services which will help and support them on a long-term/more intensive basis where appropriate.
- To engage with training and learn how to use our IT and client database.
- To attend clinical supervision as part of their self-care and working safely with clients.
- To adhere to Refugee Council’s Safeguarding Policy and relevant Safeguarding legislation.
Experience and skills required
You will be:
- Qualified/working towards a recognised counselling or psychotherapy qualification and have at least 100 clinical supervised hours working with children and young people.
- A member of a recognised counselling body such as NCS, BACP, UKCP, etc.
- Able commit to work for up to a year (minimum 6 months), working one day a week on Monday or Thursday.
- A self-motivated volunteer therapist who feels comfortable working as part of a remote team.
- Competent to work therapeutically online, with a reasonable Wi-Fi connection.
- Familiar with using Zoom, Outlook, Excel, Word and Skype for work purposes.
- Happy to be responsible for uploading your own notes and the data associated with your caseload (with training and support provided).
- Able to attend clinical supervision fortnightly on Thursday mornings.
How we support our volunteers
- Three days of induction training
- IT support
- Regular supervision, both clinical and management
- Access to the training and workshops provided for all project staff and volunteers
How to apply
Send your CV to Anna at email@example.com.
Candidates will be interviewed as applications come in.