Time Commitment: Tuesdays, Thursdays or Fridays, flexible hours, for at least 4 months
Location: remote working. London-based applicants may look into volunteering from the office once the lockdown ends and it will be safe to do so.
Our Therapeutic Services
Refugee Council provides mental health support to asylum seeking and refugee adults and children all around the UK. The aim of our Therapeutic Services are:
- To provide a cultural and gender sensitive Therapeutic Counselling Service to male and female refugees and asylum seeking men and women.
- To create a safe and nurturing environment based on trust and non-judgement for clients to work through past traumatic experiences and embrace their strengths and resilience in developing new positive ways to help re-build their lives.
- To apply our Therapeutic case model in offering practical orientation, crisis intervention, and counselling in order to empower clients to regain control over their own lives and become the agents of their change.
What will I do?
Provide and develop a gender and culturally sensitive service and deliver one to one telephone counselling sessions to meet the holistic needs of clients and to support them throughout their journey towards psychological healing and practical empowerment. We have two separate projects, London Therapeutic Men and London Therapeutic Women, and you will have to decide which one you want to apply for. Please note that we only consider female applicants for the women’s project.
- To be qualified or in the final year of a recognised counselling diploma level 4 or above and have at least 100 clinical supervised hours.
- Access to a stable Wi-Fi connection. Refugee Council will set up and top up an account on an online video calling platform for you.
- Being a registered member of a UK regulating body and adhere to relevant ethical guidelines.
- Having a good knowledge and understanding of the multiple levels of needs and the complexity of issues faced by asylum seekers and refugees.
- Having a good level of IT competence to write up assessments, reports and record data on our client database.
- Adhering to clear boundaries.
What support will I receive?
- Induction (provided remotely in video-conference).
- Fortnightly group clinical supervision (we are working on providing this via video-conference)
- Regular support from a supervisor and a volunteer coordinator.
- Travel and lunch expenses (if/when back to the office).
I want to help
Send your CV to Anna Raffetti at anna.raffetti@RefugeeCouncil.org.uk and state which project you would like to apply for (men’s project or women’s project).