Orientation and Outreach Volunteer
- Date posted
- 20 July 2017
- Contact Name
- Sarah Sonne
We are looking for an Orientation and Outreach Volunteer who will be willing to do the orientation tours once per month during the working week who will be supporting newley arrive asylum seekers and refuges to increase their knowledge of different services in their area and to become empowered and confident to access these services.
Specifically, the volunteer role includes:
- Meet clients at The Core and take them out for a monthly orientation tour around Barnsley town centre.
- Point out and show clients places of interest such as the post office, library, town hall, museum & galleries, Barnsley interchange, cheap supermarket and shops, specialist stores such as halal shops, PSS community gym, JCP, other charity refugee support drop ins and support groups, places of worship as well as ESOL classes.
- Support clients who wish to, to complete the travel south Yorkshire e-module to increase confidence when using public transport
- Support clients by accompanying them to external appointments arranged by Refugee Council Advisors
Useful skills and experience
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Experience working in an outside/out of office environment
- Knowledge of Barnsley area is desirable
- Skilled in working with computers and support others to use computers
For further information, please see the attached task description. 1. Orientation Volunteer JD
To apply, please complete the attached application form and sent it to Sarah Sonne. 1. Volunteer Application Form