Action for Refugees in Lewisham (AFRIL) – English & Maths teacher required
Rate of pay: £ 20 per hour
Reports to: Manager
Responsible for: volunteers
The post is for two hours per week, 9:30-11:30 every Saturday
We are looking for an experienced and motivated teacher to teach English and Maths to children aged 7-11 years old as part of our popular supplementary school for refugee, asylum seeker and migrant children in the Lewisham area.
You will be required to manage the project, supervise volunteers and plan activities in advance of the sessions. Expect to spend at least 30 minutes at AFRIL before and after the sessions, briefing volunteers and getting ready/clearing up.
AFRIL is a small organisation working to relieve poverty and isolation among refugees, asylum seekers and other migrants. Our services include ESOL classes, a supplementary school for children, and advice service and a day centre. Visit www.afril.org.uk for more information.
Essential Knowledge and skills
- UK or overseas teaching qualification
- Experience of teaching English / Maths for this age group in the British education system
- Ability to relate to young people and gain their confidence
- Experience working as part of a team
- Experience of working with and supporting volunteers
- A good understanding of how children with English as an additional language learn best
Please email CV and covering letter to: email@example.com
Closing date Saturday 11 June 2011