The Syrian Resettlement Programme aims to help the most vulnerable – survivors of torture, people with serious medical conditions, and women with children. They are identified by the UN then screened by the Home Office before being resettled in the UK.
Refugees given priority by the programme include:
- Women, children and adolescents at risk of violence or exploitation
- Survivors of violence and torture
- Refugees with legal or physical protection needs
- Those with special medical needs or disabilities
- People at risk due to their sexual orientation or gender identity
- Refugees with family links in the UK
20,000The number of Syrian refugees the government has committed to resettle by 2020 following our campaign
How we help Syrian refugees resettle
We provide specialist support, resettling Syrian refugees across Yorkshire & Humberside and Hertfordshire. We work in partnership with local councils, community groups and other organisations to give refugees all the support they need.
Our staff and volunteers help individuals or families for up to five years. After the first year of intensive support, they are given ongoing support via our Independent Living Advice Service (ILAS). Available five days a week via a hotline, this is designed to meet refugees’ wider needs regarding life in the UK. It includes one to one support from ILAS support workers as well monthly group briefings on topics including basic IT skills and healthy eating.
7,307people had been resettled under the scheme by March 2017 – half were children
Resettled refugee stories
Partner with us to help resettle refugees
We work with an amazing range organisations and groups who are committed to helping Syrian refugees rebuild their lives in the UK. If you would like your organisation to get involved, contact one of the teams below.
Hull Resettlement Team
- Hull and East Riding: 01482421120
Sheffield Resettlement Team
- Sheffield, Barnsley, Doncaster & Rotherham: 01143990800
Leeds Resettlement Team
- Leeds, Wakefield, York & North Yorkshire: 01132449404
Hertfordshire Resettlement Team
Support our work
You can help refugees to rebuild their lives in the UK by making a donation or volunteering on one of our projects.