The truth about asylum
Looking for the facts about asylum? The same old myths and scare stories about refugees and people seeking asylum are peddled again and again. The truth is in short supply.
At the Refugee Council, we believe it’s time to put that right and tell it like it is. That’s why we’ve produced these facts and figures that you can rely on.
The real story - facts and figures
- Asylum seekers and refugees, who's who
- Terms and Definitions
- Asylum seekers and refugees do not get large handouts from the state
- Asylum seekers and refugees are law-abiding citizens
- Refugees make a huge contribution to the UK
- Asylum seekers are looking for a place of safety
- Britain's asylum system is very tough
- Poor countries – not the UK – look after most of the world's refugees
Read the latest edition of Tell It Like It Is: the truth about refugees and asylum, our downloadable, printable leaflet containing up to date, fully referenced facts.
If you would like us to send you physical copies of the leaflet for an event or conference please email email@example.com
23 Aug 2018
Statitics up until end of June 2018 released
22 Mar 2017
Group to be granted refugee status
21 Mar 2017
Report on Morton Hall IRC published
13 Mar 2017
Alan and Ghaith reflect on their experiences
04 Apr 2017
We urge caution in the coverage of the Croydon attack
16 Mar 2017
Refugee women gather in Yorkshire
22 Feb 2017
Young refugees' experience of half term
22 Dec 2016
When war ripped through Aleppo, brothers Alan and Ghaith fled for their lives...