Supporting refugee community organisations
Refugee community organisations (RCOs) play an essential role in serving, involving, uniting and advocating on behalf of their communities. The Refugee Council regards its relationship with RCOs as one of vital importance and integral to the work it does.
We work mainly with management committee members, staff and volunteers within RCOs and aim to support and assist them in making their organisations sustainable and effective in providing services to their communities.
Our philosophy and approach to community development work is based on the following principles:
- Listening and learning from the experiences of refugee communities
- Working in partnership with refugee communities and helping them to develop the skills, confidence and resources to address common issues of concern
- Enabling refugee communities to participate fully in UK society
- Supporting RCOs in influencing decision making at a national and local level
- Enabling refugee communities to share ideas and experience; and to work together to bring about social justice for refugees and asylum seekers
One-to-one capacity building support
The SCORES project, funded by the Football Foundation, aims to increase the participation of refugees in sport. As part of the project we provide specialist support to RCOs in London and the
West Midlands to help them increase their capacity to develop and run sporting projects through the provision of information, advice, seminars, training and one-to-one development support.
For more information please contact Ezechias Ngendahayo on 0207 346 1163 or email ezechias.ngendahayo@RefugeeCouncil.org.uk