RCOs play an important role in helping newly arrived refugees to settle in the UK. Their impact on the lives of refugee and people seeking asylum throughout the country is huge.
Because they are run by people from refugee backgrounds, they possess unique strengths:
- Reach: links to their communities, community languages, cultural affinity and trust enable RCOs to engage with refugees in ways other organisations cannot
- Insight: RCOs have direct experience of what life is like for refugees in the UK, enabling them to identify and communicate challenges and opportunities
- Solutions: RCOs are innovative in finding solutions to barriers and challenges facing refugees and people seeking asylum
How we help
The Refugee Council champions the role of RCOs in the UK. We help to ensure they have a stronger voice in national and local debates and decisions that affect their members’ daily lives. We work with them to ensure our services and campaigns reflect the needs of their communities. And we help them to secure the resources they need to achieve their mission. Our support includes:
Our support includes:
- Free training, toolkits, information and other resources to help them adapt, evolve and innovate and sustain their programme activities
- Free events to facilitate networking, sharing information and best practice, encouraging collaboration and increase impact.
- Engagement opportunities for the development of a shared understanding of the needs of refugee communities amongst civil society, funders, the public sector and decision makers.
Find out more about RCOs in the UK
Support our work
You can help refugees to rebuild their lives in the UK by making a donation or volunteering on one of our projects.
Refugee Community Organisations can find out more about the support were offer below.