Empowering local people to resettle refugee families
Local people throughout the UK want to do all they can to support people fleeing conflict and persecution. Community Sponsorship gives them the opportunity to make a direct impact on the lives of refugee families. The government scheme enables community groups that are determined to give refugees a better future the power to sponsor and resettle them in their areas.
Who can get involved in Community Sponsorship?
Groups need to operate in Yorkshire and the Humber and have status as either a registered charity or community interest company. They must also meet certain criteria before being able to receive a refugee family, such as having experience of supporting refugees or other groups of vulnerable people. Potential groups include faith groups, churches, local charities and businesses.
How do local groups support refugees families through Community Sponsorship?
Becoming a sponsor is a big responsibility, but being involved in this programme can be very rewarding. Each resettled family will be different. Some individuals may have specific medical needs or disabilities but most will have suffered the loss of their home, family and friends and witnessed the horrors of war.
Key responsibilities of local groups include:
- Gaining local authority consent to resettle their families
- Finding affordable housing
- A financial commitment of £9,000 per family
- Meeting their family at the airport and providing a clear resettlement plan explaining how integration services will be delivered for one year
- Arranging English language/ESOL tuition
- Support towards independence, self-sufficiency and employment for their families
What support does the Refugee Council provide?
If you are interested in sponsoring a refugee family through Community Sponsorship in Yorkshire and Humberside the Refugee Council can support you with:
- Detailed information about the programme and application process
- Advice on completing the sponsorship application
- Coordinating training to prepare you to receive your family
- Connecting you with other community sponsors to share learning and experience
Find out more
To find out if your group can welcome a refugee family through Community Sponsorship, contact Duncan Wells at Duncan.firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0113 386 2239.