Independent Unaccompanied Asylum-Seeking Children Support Service (IUSS) is a service for unaccompanied children seeking asylum in England. It has operated since 1994 and is the only national service of its kind.
Refugee Council advisers work directly with unaccompanied children seeking asylum, providing impartial and independent information, advice and guidance to help them to navigate the asylum and looked after children’s systems.
Our advisers also work with professionals, providing advice and guidance on how to best support unaccompanied children.
- See this diagram of the asylum process for separated children.
- Read our ‘Welcome to the UK’ booklet to find out more about the roles of those helping separated children seeking asylum.
What we offer
- We work with young people in many ways:
- Providing remote advice and information for young people, carers, professionals and other stakeholders by OISC registered advisers
- Helping young people to understand the asylum system, how to claim asylum and how to access legal representation
- Accompanying young people to asylum interviews and immigration tribunal and appeal hearings
- We also help with issues such as concerns about placements, getting into school, trying to help locate their family, health issues or simply being someone with whom they can talk when there is no one else they can turn to
- We meet with children face-to-face as needed
- For children arriving at Dover, we provide initial support at the port while children await placement elsewhere
What we do not offer through this service
- Provide support for young people past the age of 18. Adults seeking asylum should contact Migrant Help for support on 0808 8010 503
- Provision of services to support Age Disputes; or to act as Appropriate Adults for Age Assessments
Who it's for
- Any unaccompanied child seeking asylum.
- Any professional working with or supporting an unaccompanied child.
How to access this service
- If you are an unaccompanied child please call our freephone advice number on 0808 175 3499, message us via WhatsApp on 07 8888 666 15 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- إذا كنت طفلًا أو طفلة تطلب اللجوء وتحتاج إلى مشورة أو دعم، يرجى الاتصال بنا على 08081753499 أو مراسلتنا عبر الواتس أب على الرقم 07888866615
- ዑቅባ ዝደልዩ ቆልዑ እንተ ኮይንኩም ከምእውን ምኽሪ ወይ ደገፍ እንተደሊኹም በጃኹም አብዚ ቁጹሪ ስልኪ 0808 175 3499 ደውሉልና ወይከአ በዚ ዋትስ አፕ ቁጽሪ 07 8888 666 15 መልእኽትኹም ስደዱልና።
- ጥገኝነት ጠያቂ ልጆች ከሆናችሁ እና ምክር ወይም ድጋፍ ከፈለ ጋችሁ እባክዎን በዚህ ስልክ ቁጥር 0808 175 3499 ይደውሉልን ወይም በዚህ ዋትስ አፕ ቁጥር 07 8888 666 15 መልአክት ይላኩልን።
- Nếu bạn là trẻ em xin tị nạn và bạn cần tư vấn hoặc hỗ trợ, xin vui lòng gọi cho chúng tôi theo sô: 0808 175 3499, hoặc nhắn tin cho chúng tôi qua WhatsApp theo số 07 8888 666 15.
- If you are a professional, please call our advice line on 020 7346 1134 or email us at email@example.com
- Please note, our phone lines are open from 08:30 until 17:30 Monday - Friday. We also offer 2 evening surgeries per month.